We Are Not Your Servants
I belong to a classification of people known as women- those who are deemed less than a man. Once upon a time, a woman was viewed as her husband's object and servant, and nothing more. Although the standards have changed in today's world, we are still objectified by much of society. A girl is told by everyone from a young age that she should cook, clean, and care for her man, instead of following her own dreams. The rhetoric and sarcasm used in Judy Brady's I Want A Wife perfectly displays the demands many females around the world face from their partner. With the repetition of "I want a wife" throughout the essay, she is able to substantiate the image of a woman having to satisfy a man's every whim. With the stereotype surrounding girls as having to be a housewife, it is as if following your own path is as absurd as seeing pink elephants at the zoo. She must follow her husband's success like he is Jesus. That shouldn't be the case; women should be able to have as much opportunity as men. Women should be able to do whatever they want: become a doctor, a lawyer, an astronaut, or, if they chose, cater to their husbands every need. Our future is a choice, not a lifetime sentencing to being a man's object.
I liked how you included that a woman should be able to cater to her husband's needs if she wants to. I feel like some women can get overly passionate about how women around them should act and sometimes they can step the boundary by being a little aggressive when a woman just doesn't want to put herself out there. Nice job.
ReplyDelete