Airplane Perspective

One day, while I was mid-flight to my dad's house in Pennsylvania for my annual summer visit, I noticed the little clouds that freckled a clear blue sky casting small shadows onto the world below. While I observed the hot July sun radiate beyond the grey haze of the clouds on the earth, I began to ponder perspective. From 39,000 feet up in the confines of this airplane, every house was looked like a single brick, every car was an ant crawling its way down winding paths, and every shadow was a tiny ink smear, dulling the solar light on a single town or neighborhood. From down below, however, the cloud's shadow can darken your whole world. It is funny how when you place yourself above something, you see it differently. You begin to realize how small you are in comparison to the planet, and even the universe. We are all a compilation of atoms arranged in such a way that we become people. Tiny molecules that are invisible to the naked eye can combine in such a way to create beauty and life. With that in mind, we are the atoms that compile the universe. We and the problems that drag us down are so small in the big scheme of things. With this outlook on perspective, I realized that from where I stand now, a small issue can cast a big shadow on my life, but if I just take a step back, and place myself 39,000 feet above, they are just another small cloud, and they too will pass with the wind.

Comments

Popular Posts